Suggestion: add -dmo suffix to package names

Author: Dominique Dumont
To: dmo-discussion
Subject: Suggestion: add -dmo suffix to package names
Hello

With #668831, I had another instance of confusion between packages provided by
Debian versus those provided by debian-multimedia: long story short, dmo xine
packages are already multi-arch and debian xine packages are lagging behind.
This is a transition issue, made more complex by the fact that transitioning
packages come from 2 repos.

Make no mistake: I'm really, really grateful for the work done by Christian to
provide Debian-multimedia. I'm just trying to suggest an idea to improve how
user can interact with both repositories.

So, an issue with the current orgranisation is: once packages are installed,
it's not obvious wether a package comes from dmo or vanilla debian. Sure,
using apt-cache policy or reading /usr/doc will give a hint. But these are
esasy to overlook when hunting for a bug. As I did.

So here's the suggestion: all packages from debian-multimedia should have a
'-dmo' suffix (with proper conflict and provides statement).

This would have several benefits:
- avoid confusion between vanilla debian and dmo when logging bugs
(like this 668831)
- would enable users to cherry-pick between the 2 repos without using apt-
pinning tricks
- would avoid using epoch to distinguish between 2 repos
- hightlight the fact that dmo packages often have a different feature set
compared to debian vanilla packages (i.e. set of codecs)

Of course , this idea has 2 major drawbacks:
- all dmo packages must be reworked by Christian
- users will have to install a new set of packages.

Thoughts ?

All the best