Re: Video player programs freeze on me

Author: Robin Cook
To: dmo-discussion
Subject: Re: Video player programs freeze on me
On Mon, 23 Jan 2017 08:29:17 +0100
Christian Marillat <marillat@???> wrote:

> On 22 janv. 2017 20:40, Robin Cook <rcook@???> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 22 Jan 2017 17:18:04 +0100
> > Christian Marillat <marillat@???> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >> You have this problem since when ?
>
> [...]
>
> > It has been a bit. I have been trying different video programs to see
> > if one would work as well as hoping an update would fix it but nothing
> > so far.
>
> I think you Xorg configuration is brken or you are missing a package.
>
> Could you read this documentation and check if your configuration is
> correct ?
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo
>
> Christian

Using the Stretch instructions I have the newest non-free firmware installed.

apt-get install firmware-linux-nonfree
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
firmware-linux-nonfree is already the newest version (20161130-2).

And this is the output from the other commands listed.

lspci -nn | grep VGA
08:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV770 [Radeon HD 4870] [1002:9440]

xrandr --listproviders
Providers: number : 1
Provider 0: id: 0x54 cap: 0xf, Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload crtcs: 2 outputs: 3 associated providers: 0 name:ATI Radeon 4800 Series @ pci:0000:08:00.0

DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV770 (DRM 2.48.0 / 4.9.0-1-amd64, LLVM 3.9.1)

The below command fails with an unable to find provider radeon

xrandr --setprovideroffloadsink radeon Intel
Could not find provider with name radeon

CuZnDragon
Robin