Re: PowerPC is now unstable/sid - requested for deb-multimed…

Author: Linux User #330250
To: dmo-discussion
Subject: Re: PowerPC is now unstable/sid - requested for deb-multimedia as well
On 2017-05-27 20:16 Christian Marillat wrote:
> On 27 mai 2017 18:46, Linux User #330250 <linuxuser330250@???> wrote:
>
>> You're right. And apt-get still works. It's just that all Debian
>> tutorials and manuals have been changed to use apt instead of apt-get,
>> so I thought this might be a good idea for deb-multimedia as well.
> >From the apt manpage, apt isn't apt-get :
>
> ,----
> | apt(8) just changes the default value of some options (see apt.conf(5)
> | and specifically the Binary scope). So you should prefer using
> | these commands (potentially with some additional options enabled) in
> | your scripts as they keep backward compatibility as much as possible.
> `----

From https://debian-handbook.info/browse/en-US/stable/sect.apt-get.html:

6.2. aptitude, apt-get, and apt Commands
apt is a second command-line based front end provided by APT which
overcomes some design mistakes of apt-get
The most recommended interface, apt, is the one that we will use in the
examples given in this section. Note however that apt-get and aptitude
have a very similar command line syntax.

What I get from that: apt is the recommended way to do things on Debian.
Anyhow, if you want to stay compatible with older versions of Debian, it
doesn't hurt to use apt-get as it is available on all versions.

Cheers,
Linux User #330250