Re: Latest acroread 9.5.10 dmo4

Author: Nuno Oliveira
To: dmo-discussion
Subject: Re: Latest acroread 9.5.10 dmo4
* Christian Marillat <marillat@???> [2018-03-07 17:11]:
>On 27 févr. 2018 10:13, Nuno Oliveira <nuno@???> wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>> host:/home/host/user/Desktop# cd /etc/cups/ppd
>> host:/etc/cups/ppd# ll
>> total 1768
>> drwxr-xr-x 2 root lp 4096 jan 8 2016 .
>> drwxr-xr-x 5 root lp 4096 fev 27 09:13 ..
>> -rw-r----- 1 root lp 262063 jan 8 2016 HP_Color.ppd
>> -rw-r----- 1 root lp 262063 jan 8 2016 HP_Color.ppd.O
>> -rw-r----- 1 root lp 304836 jan 8 2016 printerc.ppd
>> -rw-r----- 1 root lp 304831 jan 5 2016 printerc.ppd.O
>> -rw-r----- 1 root lp 304843 jan 5 2016 printer.ppd
>> -rw-r----- 1 root lp 304843 jan 5 2016 printer.ppd.O
>> -rw-r----- 1 root lp 20941 jan 8 2016 PDF.ppd
>> -rw-r----- 1 root lp 20941 jan 5 2016 PDF.ppd.O
>> host:/etc/cups/ppd# chmod a+r *
>
>As ppd files right may changes, the best is to add the current user to
>the lp group.
>
>Christian

Hi Christian,

On my system I have on /etc/cups/cups-files.conf:

# Default user and group for filters/backends/helper programs; this cannot be
# any user or group that resolves to ID 0 for security reasons...
#User lp
#Group lp

# Administrator user group, used to match @SYSTEM in cupsd.conf policy rules...
# This cannot contain the Group value for security reasons...
SystemGroup lpadmin

During all this time, regular printing through CUPS has worked fine, even
without being part of the lp group. Only acroread tries to read the ppd
files directly, so I agree it is safer to be part of the lp group to use
it.

For me, acroread provides an alternative printing mechanism for old
stubborn PDF files that don't survive all the rastering that is currently
required when printing through CUPS on Linux. To read documents, other
browsers have much less problems, so acroread is only very rarely required.

Thanks,

Nuno.