Re: confused by MythTV on buster

Author: Janusz S. Bień
To: dmo-discussion
Subject: Re: confused by MythTV on buster
On Sat, Aug 11 2018 at 19:31 +0200, marillat@??? writes:
> On 11 août 2018 18:28, jsbien@??? (Janusz S. Bień) wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> service mythtv-backend status
>>>
>>> journalctl -xa
>>
>> root@VivoPC-D8:/home/jsbien# service mythtv-backend status
>> bash: service: command not found
>
> Maybe /usr/sbin

You're right.

> Isn't in your PATH environment variable or
> init-system-helpers isn't installed ?

In buster there is a problem with PATH after su or sudo, I tend to
forgot about it. Had no time yet to learn how to fix it.

> ,----
> | $ type service
> | service is /usr/sbin/service
> | $ dpkg -S /usr/sbin/service
> | init-system-helpers: /usr/sbin/service
> `----
>
> [...]
>
>> Aug 11 18:13:44 VivoPC-D8 mythbackend[1559]: mythbackend[1559]: I
>> CoreContext mythcontext.cpp:971 (TestDBconnection) Start up
>> failure. host localhost, status dbAwakeFail
>
> The mysql server has been launched before mythtv at startup ?

That's the question. I would expect a different message in the situation
when the database is not yet available, but perhaps this is the
reason. I tried to find with Google how to delay the backend start till
the database is ready, but found nothing.

>> mythtv-backend has no problem with login when started from the command
>> line.
>
> Launched from the command line as root ?

No, just as a user.

> Normally you need to use service to start the backend.

This also doesn't work.

Regards

janusz

--