Re: Problems in Debian Sid

Author: Brad Rogers
To: dmo-discussion
Subject: Re: Problems in Debian Sid
On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 18:02:54 -0400
Luis Finotti <luis.finotti@???> wrote:

Hello Luis,

>It's also trying to remove some vital packages, like plasma-desktop,
>chromium, dolphin, ffmpeg, handbrake-gtk...

I had no such issues here. IDK how you were going about removing stuff,
but try a few things at a time and see what is affected. If the process
wants to remove (say) dolphin, then try with a smaller package selection.

It might help to try synaptic, the graphical upgrade tool, as that can
show a list of local/obsolete packages which I find very helpful. It's
possible to select one package at a time and see what else, if anything,
it wants to remove/install/upgrade as a result.

>Hmm... So, I installed phonon-backend-gstreamer-common, which
>replaced phonon-backend-gstreamer. Is that the new version to which
>you referred?

Part, yes (I think). The other part was mentioned in the output you gave
as phonon4qt5-backend-gstreamer.

As things are currently I would suggest that, if attempting to remove a
Qt4 package a wants to remove things you consider essential (your
essentials list may well differ from mine, but dolphin would definitely
count), then don't remove it.

Hopefully, you'll get to position, sooner or later, where a full upgrade
becomes viable.

Like I said in my previous message - small steps.

--
 Regards  _
Dream on white boy, dream on black girl