Re: XBMC and xorg-nouveau Driver VDPAU

Author: Martin Gallant
To: dmo-discussion
Subject: Re: XBMC and xorg-nouveau Driver VDPAU
I have been playing with this some more, and have more detailed
information to share.
I am not sure how to proceed, as it's not clear if the XBMC folks
recognize this configuration.
I have noticed the GeeXbox guys already use nouveau, (and it works)
but they are still on XBMC Frodo.
Should I engage the Debian side, the XBMC side, or just leave this
alone for a while?

Does anyone have this nouveau+xbmc+vdpau configuration working already?

Problem summary:
0. No issues when using proprietary NVIDIA driver
1. mythtv-frontend + nouveau driver works great with full VDPAU acceleration
2. xbmc + nouveau works great with software decoding (NO VDPAU
acceleration) with xbmc
3. xbmc + nouveau blank screen on playback with VDPAU acceleration,
audio works, subtitles get rendered

I have also duplicated the above on a stock jessie image (no dmo) with
xbmc-13.0 from debian experimental.

For reference, a Xorg.0.log and a loglevel=2 xbmc.log uploaded here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-ImKPfo32eTX2NiZWRndDB2Y3c/edit?usp=sharing

Here is what I have currently installed on my jessie+dmo system
ii  libvdpau1:amd64            0.7-2            amd64   Video Decode
and Presentation API for Unix (libraries)
ii  mesa-vdpau-drivers:amd64   10.1.1-1         amd64   Mesa VDPAU
video acceleration drivers
ii  libdrm-nouveau2:amd64      2.4.53-1         amd64   Userspace
interface to nouveau-specific kernel DRM ...
ii  xserver-xorg-video-nouveau 1:1.0.10-1+b1    amd64   X.Org X server
-- Nouveau display driver
ii  xbmc                       4:13.0+r2-dmo1   all     XBMC Media
Center (full metapackage).
ii  mythtv-common              0.27.0+fixes2014 all     Personal video
recorder application (common data).

--
Marty