Re: mythtv-backend

Author: Janusz S. Bień
To: dmo-discussion
New-Topics: seems solved (was: mythtv-backend)
Subject: Re: mythtv-backend
On Sat, Jul 20 2019 at 0:51 +02, Christian Marillat wrote:
> On 19 juil. 2019 20:48, jsbien@??? (Janusz S. Bień) wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2019-July/400899.html
>>
>> I think I found the culprit: the conflict between mythbackend and
>> mythtv-backend. I have no idea why I have both of them - as far as I
>> remember, I always just upgraded the Debian packages...

Actually in 2014 you helped me to solve the problem of the backend not
starting at system startup. Unfortunately I don't have (or cannot find)
all the mails, but it was related to the fact that Debian switched to
systemd. Perhaps the current mess is a remnant of those old problems.

>> It's not clear for me how to get read of the non-working mythtv-backend
>> in "a Debian way". Any suggestions?
>
> The mythtv-backend package doesn't define any port for the mysql
> server. The port number has been changed by hand or by the mythbackend
> package.

There was no problem of port number change, but of conflicting use.

> BTW where come from the mythbackend package ?

I have now mythtv-backend 30.0-dmo4.

I wrote recently to mythtv-users:

On Fri, Jul 19 2019 at 20:33 +02, Janusz S. Bień wrote:

[...]

> I just realized that I have both mythbackend and mythtv-backend and my system
> toggles between mythbackend and mythtv-backend in a semi-random way
> without my intervention. The change can be causes e.g. by some package
> update or reboot.
>
> When mythbackend is running then WebFrontend seems to work.
>
> Looks like mythbackend is started by systemd, and mythtv-backend by
> init. Now the question is how to get rid of mythtv-backend.

Earlier I wrote also

On Fri, Jul 19 2019 at 17:36 +02, Janusz S. Bień wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 19 2019 at 9:18 -05, Bill Meek wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> In the logs I could find in this thread, a 2nd instance of mythbackend was started:
>>
>>     ... Error 8: The bound address is already in use

> Multiple instances of mythbackend seem an independent problem for me.
>

>> Make sure all instances are stopped: sudo systemctl stop mythbackend and then ps ax | grep mythbackend
>> to verify that no others are running, kill as required.
>
> Immediately after a reboot I have
>
> ps ax | grep mythbackend
>  1675 ?        Ssl    0:00 /usr/bin/mythbackend --daemon --pidfile /var/run/mythtv/mythbackend.pid --syslog local6 --verbose http:debug,up
>  2648 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep mythbackend

>> It appears that you're using /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend, and systemd starts it,
>> you can modify the line in that file to get additional HTTP logging at startup
>> by editing the line that starts mythbackend there.
>
> The mythbackend process uses the arguments specified in /etc/default/mythtv-backend.
>

>> Other info shows a loglevel of crit, change that to general otherwise most logs
>> would be lost.
>
> I also noticed it and I have no idea when and how the process with the
> loglevel of crit was started.
>

>> Use the logging options above that Stephen suggested, e.g. --verbose http:debug.
>
> Done, as you can see above.
>

>> Once setup, start the backend again: sudo systemctl start
>> mythtv-backend,
>
> I skipped this step because after the reboot the backend is definitely
> running (confirmed by systemctl status mythtv-backend)
>
>> attempt to connect to WebFrontend from you favorite browser and put
>> the complete log for that run in a pastebin. Post the pastebin link
>> here.
>
> http://paste.debian.net/1092348/
>
>> Please be sure to mention the time that the attempt to connect to
>> WebFrontend was made so it can be matched with log entries.
>
> An attempt to connect to http://localhost:6544/ was done at 17-13-53 but
> left no trace in the log. Actually I expected this: the problem is that
> the port 6544 for some reasons is not opened by the backend.

Best regards

Janusz

--
             ,