Re: MythTV 31 in experimental

Author: Werner Mahr
To: dmo-discussion
Subject: Re: MythTV 31 in experimental
Am Donnerstag, 5. März 2020, 17:38:25 CET schrieb Christian Marillat:
> On 04 mars 2020 12:48, Werner Mahr <werner@???> wrote:

> > The bad news: Changing the user to as isn't possible with this, so users
> > like me, that run the backend as their normal user to easier access
> > mythtv-setup have to edit the unit manually.
>
> Normally the configuration is written is the mariadb database.

Sure, but all the components read the credentials for the db from ~/.mythtv/
config.xml. I don't know where it is placed for user mythtv but the file has to
be somewhere. All other settings are in the db.

> > The good thing, placing a symlink to the old-file or just moving it there
> > works, as the old one isn't removed while upgrading.
>
> Maybe a good documentation for that.
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd/User

Yep, creatig a user user-service or just systemctl --edit and changing the
user leads to the same target. It would be great to be able to change the
running user from the EnvironmentFile, but Lennard didn't think so.

> > And btw. the old defaults calls it EXTRA_ARGS, while the unit uses
> > ADDITIONAL_ARGS.
>
> OK, back to EXTRA_ARGS variable in service file :
>
> ExecStart=/usr/bin/mythbackend $EXTRA_ARGS
>
> and /etc/default/mythtv-backend to add options with EXTRA_ARGS

Perfect.

> [...]
>
> > And just as an additional info, changing the dh_sequence_python3 to the
> > older dh --with-python3 and freetype-dev to freetyp6-dev makes it work on
> > stable, too.
>
> Well I think the best is to upload mythtv 31 build for stable packages
> in stable-backports.

I thought backports is meant for pkg's that have a version in normal testing
branch. But I don't care from where I install them. Just had a little more
time than expected (working in fair-construction, so bad times these days) and
gave it a short test to let you know it's no big deal.

--
MfG usw.

Werner Mahr