Re: sound for flash?

Author: Anthony L. Awtrey
To: Ross Boylan
CC: dmo-discussion@deb-multimedia.org
Subject: Re: sound for flash?
On 11/27/2012 07:27 PM, Ross Boylan wrote:
> Any suggestions to get sound out of flash? I'm running testing
> with flash 11.2 r202, iceweasel 10.0.10. The sound needs to go out
> HDMI. mythfrontend is working fine, though I had to reset from it's
> initial output to get it to work.
>
> I don't see anywhere in flash or iceweasel to set output devices.
> /etc/asound.conf to the right device: pcm.!default { type hw card
> 0 device 7 } ctl.!default { type hw card 0 device 7 }
>

> I'm running a minimal desktop (Xfce4), and I have tried to avoid
> installing higher level sound packages.
>
> Someone on net says "pulseaudio is the easiest way to get flash
> working." But I've also seen lots of complaints about PA screwing
> up.
>
> I'm mostly interested for hulu. Is there some kind of html 5
> option?

I've got a similar configuation working under xfce4 without
pulseaudio. My trick was to get it working at the command-line using
aplay. I got a list of my devices (aplay -l) and then would play a
simple wav file out each device until I found the right output for
HDMI. I've attached my asoundrc with some comments. Basically, keep
changing the device until aplay makes sound come out. After that,
Flash just worked for me.

Hope this helps!

Tony

pcm.dmixer {
  type dmix
  ipc_key 2048
  slave {
    pcm "hw:1,7" # Always use pure hw. dmix will reformat/resample audio.
    period_size 512 # If you get stuttering/or non-working audio, fiddle around with these
    buffer_size 4096
    rate 48000 # HDMI, I'll assume 48kHz
    format S16_LE # Should be default for pretty much any soundcard.
  }
  bindings {
    0 0
    1 1