Re: mythtv 0.28+fixes20161017-dmo1 packages are uninstallabl…

Author: Craig Sanders
To: dmo-discussion
Subject: Re: mythtv 0.28+fixes20161017-dmo1 packages are uninstallable
On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 07:51:40PM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:

> [...] but mythtv-common should depend on mysql-client (like
> it used to) at least until debian fixes this (or forever, if they dont).

grepping /var/lib/apt/lists/*_Packages shows that every debian package which
depends on default-mysql-client actually depends on:

    default-mysql-client | virtual-mysql-client

virtual-mysql-client is Provided by mysql-client-5.7 and similar packages.

So, that would probably be a better solution for mythtv-common

In the meantime, using equivs to build a dummy package with this control file
should work around the problem:

    Section: database
    Standards-Version: 3.9.2

    Package: default-mysql-client
    Depends: virtual-mysql-client
    Version: 1:1.0
    # Maintainer: Your Name <yourname@???>
     equivs package for default-mysql-client so that mysql-server-* and
     mysql-client-* aren't removed.

It seems like it will work, anyway. I've built and installed it but haven't
upgraded the myth packages yet because mythtv-backend is recording something.

# apt-get -d -u install mythtv-backend mythtv-common mythtv-frontend
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Suggested packages:
  mythweb mythweather mythgallery mythgame
Recommended packages:
  mythtv-database
  mythtv-backend mythtv-common mythtv-frontend
3 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/21.5 MB of archives.
After this operation, 2,048 B of additional disk space will be used.
Download complete and in download only mode

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@???>