Re: mythtv 0.28+fixes20161017-dmo1 packages are uninstallabl…

Author: Craig Sanders
To: dmo-discussion
Subject: Re: mythtv 0.28+fixes20161017-dmo1 packages are uninstallable
On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 11:17:15AM +0200, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> On Di, Okt 25, 2016 at 07:51:40 +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > If I try to upgrade to the latest mythtv packages, apt-get wants
> > to remove mysql-server* and mysql-client*, which would leave myth
> > without a database.
>
> No, it would „migrate” you to mariadb. At least it did here.

well, no, it wouldn't have because none of the mariadb-server packages were
going to be installed. see the transcript i posted in my first message on this
subject.

in any case, mariadb is NOT a drop-in replacement for mysql.

> And it worked very well.

So far. Which might mean that myth works perfectly with mariadb, or it might
mean you just haven't run into a problem yet.

When the mythtv developers announce that mythtv is fully supported on mariadb,
and after lots of other people have volunteered to be guinea-pigs for it,
that's when i'll considered switching. My myth box is mostly an appliance. I
have no desire to be messing around with unsupported databases on it.

> I’m afraid, Debian considers mariadb as drop-in replacement for
> mysql. At least for me it worked that way.

NO, we don't. There have been discussions about this in recent bug reports,
with members of the debian mysql team explicitly stating that it IS NOT a
drop-in replacement.

For example:

Aside from the OP, the three other people who commented on that bug are
members of the debian mysql project, and Robie Basak is a project admin.

https://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-mysql/

> The default mysql in Debian is mariadb.

Maybe so, but installing a package called default-MYSQL-client should not
force the removal of mysql-client* and mysql-server*

And upgrading packages, like mythtv*, that depend on mysql should also not
force the removal of mysql, which is probably why debian packages that depend
on default-mysql-client have an alternatє dependency on virtual-mysql-client.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@???>