Re: mythtv 0.28+fixes20161017-dmo1 packages are uninstallabl…

Author: Craig Sanders
To: dmo-discussion
Subject: Re: mythtv 0.28+fixes20161017-dmo1 packages are uninstallable
On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 01:14:07PM +0200, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> On Di, Okt 25, 2016 at 08:45:42 +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > in any case, mariadb is NOT a drop-in replacement for mysql.
>
> Sorry, that was my impression from the devel mailing list. After all
> there are people who prefer to have only one mysql flavour in Debian.
>
> And both share the same directory layout, the same initscript, etc.

given that they can't read and write the same files, the fact that they use
the same directory is a serious bug. mysql should use /var/lib/mysql, and
mariadb should use /var/lib/mariadb, with a conversion tool.

> Or maybe we have a different definition of drop-in replacement.

for a database, being able to read and write the same files is an absolute
minimum requirement. mysql won't/can't use db files created by mariadb.
mariadb can read some versions of db files created by mysql (and, IIRC, can
even write some).

failing that, a foolproof and thoroughly tested bi-directional conversion
tool, used as part of the postinst. e.g. a scripted backup to text, modify the
backup if required with sed or perl etc, and then restore into the other db.
this does not currently exist within debian.

> If you have a default-mta package depending on exim4 then installing it
> would remove your postfix installation.

default-mta is generic. installing default-exim would not remove exim and
install postfix, would it?

default-mysql is specific. mysql is not mariadb and mariadb is not mysql -
they're similar, much closer to each other than e.g. postgres is to either of
them, but still not the same.

> The question is if a package should only depend on such a default-* package.

well, taking official debian packages as examples, the answer is clearly no.

> Should a fresh installation of MythTV install mariadb oder mysql?

don't care, as long as it works. what do the mythtv devs say about
mariadb compatibility?

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@???>