Re: hulu not working for a couple of weeks

Author: Ross Boylan
To: dmo-discussion
Subject: Re: hulu not working for a couple of weeks
Short version: several fails and then success. Can I get the old
version of flash for wheezy?

Without pepper in chromium I get the notice that Adobe Flash 11 or
greater is required. Which is actually the same notice I get with the
plugin.

I tried installing the old (11) version of flashplayer with Firefox.
At first, this failed by showing a message saying "this is a one time
from hulu telling me there was a permission problem and I should reset
my caches and license files. Both of those steps were fairly common
before the recent trouble. However, the 2nd screen had links to other
pages to reset the cache and rights management, and they did not show
up when I clicked them (they used to). I tried clearing some stuff
via the flash properties dialogues, but it didn't help.

Just now I added libhal1-flash, which I guess was autoremoved during
my earlier experiments. I also visited adobe's site and ran a test
for playing protected content, which worked. And now I can play
videos from hulu again!

Is there a way to get the old, v11, deb for wheezy/amd64? I was able
to pull the old version out of my caches for jessie, but not for
wheezy. I looked around on the dmo ftp site for the old version but
didn't find it.

I wonder if hulu is checking for exactly version 11.2 on linux, rather
than 11.2 and up. That would explain both the flash 24 failure in
firefox and the flash 21 failure in chromium.

Ross