Problems after mythtv upgrade

Author: Dale Martin
To: dmo-discussion
Subject: Problems after mythtv upgrade
I'm a long time user of mythtv and the dmo version of mythtv and it
has worked well for me over the years, so I want to say "thanks" up
front.

Last night I let apt-get upgrade me to
29+fixes20170926.gited4356116a-dmo1~bpo9+1.

Initially the UI would come up, but I couldn't play any videos. I have
an nvidia GT 430 video card, and I could not get the nvidia drivers to
work when upgrading to Debian 9, so I had switched to nouveau and that
was working decently. I tried changing the playback settings in
mythfrontend to basically every configuration and it would just error
out saying it couldn't start the video.

So I ran "nvidia-detect" and it said to use the latest drivers. I went
through that process, basically X won't display on my TV. (It's an
older Sony LCD.) I tried a number of things including older drivers
and I cannot get X to come up using the nvidia drivers. I've tried a
whole bunch of different things and so far I have had no luck. In
Debian 8 this was all working perfectly.

The best clue I have as to what the "lowest level" issue may be is
that I get a bunch of these in my logs:
[ 1157.388222] nvidia-modeset: Allocated GPU:0
(GPU-53a8a503-9abd-ebf2-dc10-78204d9c5c47) @ PCI:0000:02:00.0
[ 1157.779156] nvidia-modeset: Freed GPU:0
(GPU-53a8a503-9abd-ebf2-dc10-78204d9c5c47) @ PCI:0000:02:00.0
[ 1182.329527] nvidia-modeset: Allocated GPU:0
(GPU-53a8a503-9abd-ebf2-dc10-78204d9c5c47) @ PCI:0000:02:00.0
[ 1182.710311] nvidia-modeset: Freed GPU:0
(GPU-53a8a503-9abd-ebf2-dc10-78204d9c5c47) @ PCI:0000:02:00.0

I know that this list isn't exactly the right place to get help with
nvidia drivers on a Sony TV, but I'm only trying to get this working
because the newest version of mythtv doesn't seem happy with software
rendering on nouveau.

Any thoughts appreciated on what to try next.

Thanks,
Dale