Re: Problem with update.

Author: ralf h
To: Γιώργος Κ, dmo-discussion
Subject: Re: Problem with update.
Hi Giorgos,

You wrote:
>   The following NEW packages will be installed:
>    libegl1-nvidia libgl1-nvidia-glx libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386
> libgl1-nvidia-glx-i386:i386 libgles1-nvidia libgles2-nvidia
>    libnvidia-eglcore libnvidia-ml1 nvidia-alternative nvidia-driver
> nvidia-driver-bin nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-modprobe
>    nvidia-vdpau-driver nvidia-vdpau-driver:i386 xserver-xorg-video-nvidia
> The following packages have been kept back:
>    libmp3lame0:i386 libxvidcore4:i386 vdpau-va-driver:i386
> If I choose "Y" (accepting the updates), it will install a wrong
> version of Nvidia driver and crash my system.
> Now what?

And
> For the time being, seems like it's impossible to add the Multimedia
> repository. :-(

In this situation I suggest to set the nvidia packages on 'hold'. This
way you are able to use the multimedia repository and apt-get
dist-upgrade as usual, but any other versions of those packages will be
ignored and therefore not installed.

This is how it works, use

     # echo  PACKAGENAME hold | dpkg --set-selections

to set a package on hold,

     # echo  PACKAGENAME install | dpkg --set-selections

to set it back to normal status and

     $ dpkg -l | grep  PACKAGE

to check the status of the package(s).

Apt-Pinning [1] is another, more sophisticated way to work around such
situations but because in this case it's only about a few certain
packages you want to keep this seems to be the easiest solution.

Hope it works to your comfort,
Ralf

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html
Section 3.10. How to keep specific versions of packages installed (complex)

P.s.: Btw, does anyone know why this documentation is marked as
'obsolete' though it works fine or where to find a not obsolete version?
Cheers, Ralf