Re: Problems in Debian Sid

Author: Brad Rogers
To: dmo-discussion
Subject: Re: Problems in Debian Sid
On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 15:17:37 -0400
Luis Finotti <luis.finotti@???> wrote:

Hello Luis,

>I'm having a weird problem with DMO repos in Debian Sid. In two of my
>machines, a dist-upgrade wants to remove 186 packages, while if I
>remove the DMO repository, on 11 to be removed:

I've only glanced quickly at your package lists, but several of the
packages that are to be removed are Qt4 related. Qt4 is dead, in Debian
terms (in fact, not developed upstream either). As a result, anything
Qt4 is getting the chop from Debian.

I don't have anything much to offer about how to proceed, except "with
care", but start by removing Qt4 stuff.

For example, I removed the following today without issues (but see notes
after the list before proceeding) -

kde-runtime
kde-runtime-data
libilmbase23
libopenexr23
libkdeclarative5
libkdesu5
libkdnssd4
libkmediaplayer4
libknotifyconfig4
libplasma3
libqca2
libthreadweaver4
plasma-scriptengine-javascript
libgpgme++2v5
libkactivities6
libntrack-qt4-1
libssh-gcrypt-4
kate-data
katepart
kde-l10n-engb
kdelibs-bin
kdelibs5-data
kdelibs5-plugins
kdoctools
libattica0.4
libdbusmenu-qt2
libkatepartinterfaces4
libkcmutils4
libkde3support4
libkdecore5
libkdeui5
libkdewebkit5
libkemoticons4
libkfile4
libkhtml5
libkio5
libkjsapi4
libkjsembed4
libknewstuff3-4
libkntlm4
libkparts4
libkpty4
libkrosscore4
libktexteditor4
libntrack0
libpolkit-qt-1-1
libsolid4
ntrack-module-libnl-0
libdlrestrictions1
phonon
phonon-backend-vlc

NOTE: some of those packages may not be related to Qt4
ALSO: things like phonon and phonon-backend-* have had Qt5 replacements
for some time now.
LAST: if a Qt package has a version of 14* or 17* it's probably safe to
remove. If it's got an 18* version, it's likely to be Qt5 related and,
therefore, still in use.

Be also advised:
I accept no responsibility if things break on your system
If they do break, you get to keep all the parts

--
 Regards  _
No, he's just a w*****