Re: Problems in Debian Sid

Author: Luis Finotti
To: dmo-discussion
Subject: Re: Problems in Debian Sid
Thanks, Brad, for the reply!

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 4:08 PM Brad Rogers <brad@???> wrote:

> I've only glanced quickly at your package lists, but several of the
> packages that are to be removed are Qt4 related. Qt4 is dead, in Debian
> terms (in fact, not developed upstream either). As a result, anything
> Qt4 is getting the chop from Debian.
>
> I don't have anything much to offer about how to proceed, except "with
> care", but start by removing Qt4 stuff.
>
> For example, I removed the following today without issues (but see notes
> after the list before proceeding) -

[snip]

It's also trying to remove some vital packages, like plasma-desktop,
chromium, dolphin, ffmpeg, handbrake-gtk...

> ALSO: things like phonon and phonon-backend-* have had Qt5 replacements
> for some time now.

Hmm... So, I installed phonon-backend-gstreamer-common, which
replaced phonon-backend-gstreamer. Is that the new version to which
you referred?

------------------
$ apt install phonon-backend-gstreamer-common
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Suggested packages:
phonon-backend-gstreamer phonon4qt5-backend-gstreamer
The following packages will be REMOVED:
phonon-backend-gstreamer
phonon-backend-gstreamer-common
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 535 not upgraded.
Need to get 13.8 kB of archives.
After this operation, 485 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Get:1 http://cdn-fastly.deb.debian.org/debian sid/main amd64
phonon-backend-gstreamer-common amd64 4:4.9.1-2 [13.8 kB]
Fetched 13.8 kB in 1s (21.6 kB/s)
(Reading database ... 1031817 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing phonon-backend-gstreamer:amd64 (4:4.9.1-1) ...
(Reading database ... 1031813 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack
.../phonon-backend-gstreamer-common_4%3a4.9.1-2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking phonon-backend-gstreamer-common:amd64 (4:4.9.1-2) over (4:4.9.1-1) ...
Setting up phonon-backend-gstreamer-common:amd64 (4:4.9.1-2) ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-2) ...
----------------------

But, after that, the list of packages to be removed jumped from 186 to 225:

-----------------
The following packages will be REMOVED:
accountwizard akonadiconsole akregator audacious audacious-plugins
audacity audex blinken browser-plugin-freshplayer-pepperflash
chromium dolphin dolphin4 dragonplayer dvgrab ffmpeg frei0r-plugins
gimp gimp-plugin-registry gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gwenview
handbrake-gtk juk k3b kaddressbook kaffeine kalarm kalgebra kalzium
kde-baseapps kde-plasma-desktop kde-runtime
kde-style-breeze-qt4 kdebase-runtime kdeedu kdegames kdegraphics
kdemultimedia kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdenetwork kdenlive
kdepasswd kdepim kdepim-addons kdepim-doc kdepim-runtime kdesudo
kdiamond kget khelpcenter khelpcenter4 kio-audiocd kio-extras
kiten klettres kmail knemo knode knotes konq-plugins konqueror
konsole konsole4-kpart konsolekalendar kontact konversation kopete
korganizer kppp krdc kremotecontrol kscd ksirk kstars ktimetracker
ktorrent kuser kwordquiz libakonadi-calendar4
libakonadi-contact4 libasound2-plugins libaubio4 libaubio5
libavdevice57 libavdevice58 libavfilter6 libavfilter7 libavformat57
libavresample4 libbaloowidgets4 libcalendarsupport4
libchromaprint-tools libfaudio0 libffms2-4 libgegl-0.3-0 libgegl-0.4-0
libgimp2.0 libincidenceeditorsng4 libk3b6 libk3b6-extracodecs
libkateinterfaces4 libkcddb4 libkcompactdisc4 libkdepim4
libkdepimdbusinterfaces4 libkf5akonadicalendar5abi1
libkf5baloowidgets5 libkf5calendarsupport5abi1 libkf5compactdisc5
libkf5eventviews5abi1 libkf5filemetadata-bin
libkf5incidenceeditor5abi1 libkf5khtml5 libkf5ksieveui5
libkf5mailcommon5abi2
libkf5mailtransport5 libkf5mailtransportakonadi5
libkf5messagecomposer5abi1 libkf5messageviewer5abi1
libkf5notifyconfig5
libkf5templateparser5 libkf5webengineviewer5abi1 libkfilemetadata4
libkleo4 libkonq-common libkonq5abi1 libkpeople4
libkpimgapicalendar5 libkpimgapicontacts5 libkpimgapicore5abi1
libkpimgapitasks5 libkpimimportwizard5
libktpcommoninternalsprivate8 libktpmodelsprivate8
libktpwidgetsprivate8 libmarblewidget-qt5-28 libmediastreamer-base3
libmediastreamer-voip10 libmessagecomposer4 libmessagecore4
libmessageviewer4 libmlt++3 libmlt6 libokular5core7 libokular5core8
libokularcore1 libokularcore5 libokularcore6 libokularcore7
libomp5-7 libopencv-calib3d2.4v5 libopencv-calib3d3.2
libopencv-contrib2.4v5 libopencv-contrib3.2
libopencv-features2d2.4v5 libopencv-features2d3.2
libopencv-highgui2.4-deb0
libopencv-highgui3.2 libopencv-legacy2.4v5 libopencv-objdetect2.4v5
libopencv-objdetect3.2 libopencv-stitching3.2
libopencv-superres3.2 libopencv-videoio3.2 libopencv-videostab3.2
libopencv-viz3.2 libpimcommon4 libqt5webengine5
libqt5webenginecore5 libqt5webenginewidgets5 libquicktime2
libstreamanalyzer0v5 libsynfig0a libtemplateparser4 libvtk6.3
libwine-development libxine2-ffmpeg libxine2-plugins libxine2-xvdr
marble marble-plugins melt minidlna mplayer2 mpv okular
okular-extra-backends pairs paprefs pencil2d phonon
phonon-backend-vlc picard plasma-dataengines-workspace plasma-desktop
plasma-pa plasma-widget-folderview plasma-widgets-addons
plasma-widgets-workspace plasma-workspace playitslowly powerdevil
pulseaudio pulseaudio-module-gsettings pulseaudio-module-jack
pulseaudio-module-zeroconf pylint3 python-logilab-common
python-rgain sane sddm-theme-breeze smplayer smplayer2 step synfig
synfigstudio systemsettings transcode unetbootin unpaper
vapoursynth vapoursynth-ffms2 vlc wine64-development xsane yakuake

I could try to disable DMO and upgrade... But I am wondering what is
the issue, as I'd like to keep the DMO repositories, if possible.